Friends of Patuxent
Supporting Research, Wildlife Conservation, and Education at the Patuxent Research Refuge
Pollinator Festival 2022
Holiday Bazaar 2022
Friends of Patuxent had a productive and significant 2022, reinstating popular events and donating a total of $31,910 to Patuxent Research Refuge and Eastern Ecological Science Center to support new and ongoing projects. Some of our recent highlights include:• Supporting the Dr. Chandler S. Robbins Outdoor Education Center and new Wisdom Trail (opening soon), adding trailside exhibits and preparing for a refurbishing of the education pavilion.
• Bringing back both the Annual Pollinator Festival and the Wildlife Holiday Bazaar, two very popular community events.
• Developing a Pollinator-in-a-Pot Workshop with the residents of Watershed, a new development on the northern boundary of the Refuge.• Promoting and participating in a successful Latino Conservation Day at the Refuge.
• Assisting with the Hotchkiss-Harms Patuxent Research Refuge Herbarium’s volunteer work digitizing and cataloging plant specimens.• Supporting a research internship program for underserved communities.
• Contributing to a new bird-banding field station for EESC.• Reactivating the Wildlife Explorers children’s patch-earner activity and assisting with the Kids' Discovery Center at the National Wildlife Visitor Center.
• Hosting a well-attended and engaging Annual Membership Meeting celebrating the life of Rachel Carson with special guest Colleen Webster.• Supporting the Refuge Managers & Maintenance Conference at Patuxent Research Refuge.
• Supporting the Science Center in hosting a Congressional Delegation.• Continuing to operate the Wildlife Images Bookstore & Nature Shop.
• Logging countless volunteer hours supporting the Patuxent Research Refuge and Eastern Ecological Science Center.• Integrating our membership program and new website to better serve Friends’ members.